Hi Shanshan,
Thank you for sharing~ I think media literacy is gaining its importance at the present. At least from my point of view, perhpas it is because I have been taken many courses about media literacy, and now it’s an important aspect in my academic life. I would say that media literacy is now one of the powerful literacies in today’s society, I once read an article written by Brandt (2003), who suggest that digital literacy/media literacy is going to be a commodity in the future, those who have learned digital literacy is going to be of an advantaged position in our information society. Although Smith might say media literacy is now dismissed, it does not mean that it would be treated in the same way in the future.

Hi again,
I enjoy your thinking process in answering why “Media literacy is important”.As you said, parents are concerning children’s online behaviour, if our education could teach children about media literacy related knowledge in school, maybe parents can be less concerned.
Your post got me into thinking. I am actually surpirsed of how writing courses in today’s education system is still focused on honing students’ academic writing skills. I am not saying that academic writing skills is not important, it certainly is. But I think what’s going to be used in workplace is not academic writing, we don’t argue, then bring evidence, and then conclude. Business writing and media literacy should be treated more seriously in my perspective.